Saturday, January 12, 2008

Do you think you are invincible?

My good friend asked me this question last week. I immediately responded "no" but the question struck a chord inside of me and I've been thinking about it for the past couple of days.

Who doesn't believe that he/she is invincible? I don't mean that we all think that we are superhuman, but doesn't everyone (except for hypochondriacs) have that, "it's never going to happen to me" mentality? We snowboard without helmets, buy the cheapest medical insurance with the least amount of coverage and drive above the speed limit because our optimistic nature makes us believe that life is going to deal us a decent hand.

Well, it did happen to me and suprisingly, I still feel like it's not going to happen to me (again). I know that I have a 50% chance that I'm going to relapse, but surprisingly it hasn't paralyzed me. Am I just being naive and foolish??

No comments: