Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Project Khanh

Van, Marshawn and I woke up early on Sunday to get to St. Patrick Proto Cathedral to help set up the drive. It was a cold gray morning and I was shivering as I walked towards the church, but the sight of Khanh standing in front of the church holding 20 gigantic balloon really warmed my heart. He eagerly greeted me with a big smile and his positive energy was contagious.

I couldn't believe Khanh was at the drive so early in the morning. He's on a regimen of chemo every 2 weeks until the doctors find him a suitable donor. I can recall how exhausted and weak I was a week after chemo and I could only imagine how tired he must be. Khanh did not show an ounce of fatigue as he spoke in front of hundreds of people to share his story. After his speech he immediately ran back to our tables so he could review forms, translate information and answer questions for the frantic and impatient crowds of people. His friendly and charming personality made it really easy for him to talk to strangers and convince people to register. Throughout the drive he kept on asking me how I was doing.

The drive was very successful with 93 new registrants -- 84 were Vietnamese who have higher chances of matching Khanh (or me). The success of the drive was due to Khanh and his energetic team of family and friends. I am praying that we will be able to find a match for Khanh.

I also met a Vietnamese Cal alumn that has a 21 year old sister (also at UC Berkeley) who was recently diagnosed with AML. She's taking the year off and getting treated at Stanford. I just can't believe so many young people are getting sick. And why does it seem to be happening to all the good people? Why, why, why????

No comments: