Friday, May 9, 2008

One day at a time

I am looking for a bone marrow donor match!!!!! Please get registered by attending a drive or ordering a home test kit. If you live outside of the Bay Area please check out the NMDP website for more bone marrow drives. Spread the word to your friends and family please.

Last night my sister said she thought that I should approach this next part in my "project" like Luke Do. Luke is a little boy who was diagnosed with Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia at only 18 months. He had a really hard path to recovery, but successfully went through a bone marrow transplant and has been a happy go lucky kid ever since. (His father, an internal medicine doctor, Dr. Lam Do has been a guiding light to me since I first got sick. He works with my mom on the radio show to talk about leukemia and the need for bone marrow donors every week.)

At 18 months of age, Luke didn't know what was happening to him. He didn't worry about what was going to happen in the future or stress about all of the people that were taking care of him. He probably wasn't thinking about the D-word either. I am going to try to take Luke's - Be a Baby approach. I am going to take it one step at a time and not think about anything, but the present.

Sorry I am rambling, but I need to get to the hospital for my catheter surgery. I am getting the tube in my right chest. Later today we'll start the chemo (5 days in hospital). The neurosurgeon yesterday said that my platelets are too low to deal with the tumor in my head. He thinks it will be okay to deal with it later as it is right next to my left ear and is not doing much harm yet. He doesn't think it's benign....yes, I know....this has opened a whole new can of worms.

I will post more later...or actually I'll ask someone to post for me. (Need to learn how to act like a baby and get people to do things for me) :) Thanks for all of the messages and emails. They make me feel really great. Wish me luck!

No comments: