Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Reconnecting

One of the best things that have come out of Operation Kill Luke has been reconnecting with my extended family. Although my immediate family is super close, I am sad to say that we rarely keep in touch with our aunts, uncles and cousins. When I got sick, I didn't want to tell them I was sick. I just wasn't ready to share my situation with the world or even family members who barely knew me. I especially didn't want people's sympathy. I felt like if they really cared they would have contacted me before I got sick.

Anyways, my take on this has changed a lot. I really appreciate the fact that when sh*t hit my fan, many of my family members stepped up and supported me. I really admire their courage to reach out. If I was in their shoes I might have felt like it was too weird to reconnect. What do you say to a cousin you haven't seen over 10 years?

I want to take the time to thank a few family members who really touched me (in no particular order).

1. Auntie Diep and my cousin Chi Ha - They were bone marrow drive champions and volunteered at many of my bone marrow drives. They wouldn't take no for an answer and were very effective at getting people to register. Di Diep and Chi Ha have a lot of activities on their plates, but they dropped everything in a heartbeat to help me out.

2. Auntie Lieu and her family - My aunt Di Lieu cooked up a storm while I was in the hospital so I could always have a homecooked meal. Her kids (my cousin) even planned a special brunch so we could have a small reunion.

3. My cousin Marie - Marie lives in Miami and refused to let the distance get in her way of supporting me. She got weekly updates from my dad when I was too weak to talk. She sent me waaaay too many thoughtful gifts to make my treatment go a little more smoothly. She was by far my most persistent fan.

I am also very thankful to all of my other family that volunteered at drives and visited me in the hospital. It's nice to feel loved.

This past weekend I visited Marie, her husband David and their daughter Anna. They made me feel so welcomed and planned a fun filled weekend so I could get a taste of Miami. It was a blast. I can't wait to see them again. I am very grateful that my illness brought us closer together.

No comments: