Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

Previously I mentioned that each cancer patient develops his/her own slew of unique complications from the chemo treatment. For example, some people get eye infections because the chemo seeps into the ducts in their eyes, others get pneumonias because their body can't fight off microorganisms invading their lungs and then there are folks like me that develop skin issues.

Our skin is the largest and heaviest organ in our body. Our skin not only gives us our appearance and shape, but it serves as our first line of defense to protect us from heat, cold, bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. When your immune system is suppressed, your skin is not as effective in doing its job. Consequently, it is very easy for things to sneak their way into your body and wreak havoc. I developed two major skin infections during my chemo treatment that were extremely painful.

Well I figured since my counts are up now, my skin/immune system is back to normal working order. I've never had any skin problems up until I started chemotherapy, but I am soon learning that I may have to deal with skin issues for a little while longer. :(

Towards the end of my Spain trip in March I started getting small bumps on the right side of my face. I thought they were just zits, but I was suprised how many and how itchy they were. Plus it was weird that they were only on the right side of my face. When I came back to the states I made an appointment and found out that it was impetigo (the wikipedia picture is of a very severe case....mine is 100 times less ugly) caused by a common staph bacteria called staphylococcus aureus. Since we have learned that I am allergic to many to antibiotics the doctor could only give me an ointment. Luckily the bumps went away in a week.

However, I am sad to say that I think I have another breakout of these little suckers. Luckily they are not on my face, but unluckily they are in random patches all over my body (stomach, elbows, arms, etc.). It is soooo itchy. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked out. Hopefully we can nip this in the bud asap.

My sister's biology professor mentioned to her that even though my counts are normal it may take some time for my immune system to completely heal. These skin infections are little reminders that maybe I'm not as back to normal as I think I am. ARg.

No comments: