Saturday, August 4, 2007

Maykin Memories

During the first couple of months of my treatment, I felt like life was passing me by and there was nothing I could do but to watch from my hospital window. Each time I was released from the hospital I was thrilled to get to do normal things like visit family and friends, explore the Monterey Bay Aquarium, go fishing with my brother, etc. However, this happiness soon went away every time I couldn't participate in something because of my illness.

I've been reading many books about Buddhism and they all stress the fact that impermanence is a universal fact. Neither pain nor pleasure lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever. Although I'm missing out on things, I am confident that there will be a "next time". I've been starting to detach myself from wanting everything and just appreciating the things I do have/can do. Plus I have already lead a very full life.

Just in 2006 alone, I...
1. Traveled to Vietnam with Mom
2. Explored the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat in Cambodia
3. Did a flip in the air on a flying trapeze
4. Landed 3 jumps in a row on my snowboard
5. Got promoted to Senior Associate at my work
6. Hiked up to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite (16 miles!!)
7. Performed Thai Classical dance (my most beloved hobby) with the Berkeley Temple

AND even today my life is very full of love and laughter. Never did I imagine having Leukemia would give me so many opportunities to eat cake. Thank you for all of the brunches, dinners, and parties thrown for me!

So I hope you will not feel sorry for me just because of this small bump in my road. I am truly blessed.

No comments: