Thursday, September 6, 2007

Getting closer to the finish line.

Time is flying by faster than I would like it to. I can't believe I am at the end of another week. I don't know where my time goes these days and I still have a long list of things I want to get done (work on the website, send letters to politicians, write emails, finish my real estate course, make a video encouraging folks to register, etc). I blame my procrastination on the chemotherapy. A common side effect of High-dose Cytarabine is fatigue. I'm not tired to the point that I need naps all of the time, but I've noticed that it just takes me longer to do things.

My wbcs have not stabilized yet which is consistent with my previous rounds of chemo. Yesterday, my wbc = 1.7 (normal range = 3.5-12.5), so I had to give myself another shot of neupogen to boost my stem cells to produce more white blood cells. Even though I've probably given myself over 30 shots, I still haven't gotten used to the initial piercing of my skin. I still have to take a deep breath and give myself a quick pep talk..."Don't be a wimp Michelle! It's not a big deal. Just get it over with!" When it's over, I sigh with relief and go on my merry way. FYI, it doesn't hurt that much.

Luckily, I have not caught an infection despite the fact that my immune system is still weak. I try to avoid public areas and large crowds of people. My doctor just told me today that my 5th and final round of chemotherapy will begin on Monday, September 17th. Then after that, I'll have about 2-3 months to recuperate from the chemotherapy. Hopefully my energy will come back. Once round 5 is over, I will just wait and see if I relapse. If I do relapse (50% chance), I will need a bone marrow transplant. I am praying that I don't relapse.

No comments: